6 Signs of Poison Ivy

When an oily resin called urushiol comes in contact with the skin, it causes an allergic reaction. This allergic reaction is called by poison ivy and is called a poison ivy rash. Urushiol oil is called by the oil in the stem, roots and leaves of a poison sumac, poison oak and poison ivy. It is sticky and easily attaches to your skin, any equipment you use, clothing and pet’s fur.

To avoid developing a poison ivy rash, it is important to wash your skin right away if you come in contact with oily resin. Washing urushiol from your skin immediately will not stop you from getting poison ivy, but can reduce your chances of developing the rash.

Developing a poison ivy rash may cause signs and symptoms for weeks. You may treat mild cases of poison ivy at home with cool baths and smoothing lotions. However, more severe poison ivy rash or a rash that is more widespread, especially on your genitals or face, may require prescription medication.

1. Redness

Sometimes your skin becomes red because you have exercised or participated in some kind of activity. This is different from the symptom of redness. Skin redness is an allergic reaction to something that has come in contact with your skin. Your skin becomes irritated and red. The allergic reaction may cause extra blood to rush to your skin’s surface in an attempt to fight the cause of the irritant. Also, your body attempts to heal your skin by using the extra blood. The cause of the skin becoming red and inflamed include poison ivy, contact dermatitis, eczema, atopic dermatitis and bites.

You may find the change in the color of your skin unsightly, but it is not a cause for concern. Often, it is a sign of a medical condition or disease. The redness of your skin does accompany other symptoms such as flushing, bumps, warmth of the skin and hives. The exact symptom depends on the type of medical condition you have. Another sign of this condition is the degree in redness. Your skin’s color may vary in the degree of red. The treatment for this symptom depends on the medical condition. For instance, washing the affected area with water and soap may assist in healing. You may also be prescribed medications like antihistamines to reduce the irritation.